Monday, January 19, 2009

From the archives: So what is Graphic Design?

My definition of graphic design is to visually combine groups of information into a clever and original concept by using elements such as photography, illustration, and typography for the benefit of my clients. From the design of a subway map, to a logo, to a menu, to an annual report, graphic design creates a structure for information so the audience can better understand it.

Graphic design is how to creatively and visually connect client and audience. If done well, it stand out from the noise.

I have been a designer for corporate America since 1987 and graphic design has not been an easy medium to explain to my clients or convince them of the value. It’s not tangible like photography or copy writing.

Lately, it seems to me that graphic design, to a certain extent, has become dispensable and undervalued at a critical time in communication history. The creative presentation of information is as important as the content itself.

Writing this blog and sharing my experiences are my attempt to create a better understanding of graphic design, its value and my love for this creative medium.

Comments are welcome!

From the archives: So what is Graphic Design?SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: